At age 15 and 9 months you can begin the classroom portion of a MA driver's education program. At age 16 you can apply for your MA Learner's Permit. Once the permit is obtained, and all other obligations have been met, you can begin the on-road driving and observation portion of your training.
No, a non-refundable $575 deposit will secure you a seat in our classroom and a second non-refundable $300 payment will be due to start scheduling your on-road appointments.
No, it is not necessary to have a permit to take our classroom. You must be 15.9 to be eligible for the classroom portion of the training. As a matter of fact, our classroom will prepare you for your permit test.
You must be available to attend the first day of your scheduled classroom, if you cannot attend the first day of your scheduled class session you must choose an entirely new classroom session. You cannot makeup the first day. However, if a student is present on the first day of class but misses any of the following days of that classroom session, they can make-up that day in a future class session. Please contact the office for class make-up scheduling.
All appointments must be canceled no less than 24 hours in advance. Any cancellations made less than a 24-hour notice, will result in a $60 cancellation fee per hour of scheduled hour of driving, no exceptions. You can completely avoid this by fee by canceling your appointment in advance of the 24-hour window.
To start scheduling on-road appointments students must have:
• A completed parent class recorded.
• When classroom has been completed and passed the final exam with at least an 80%
• Accounts paid in full
• A valid MA learners permit
We typically schedule driving hours 6-8 weeks in advance, wait times can fluctuate so please plan accordingly and utilize that time to get in plenty of practice. Students under 18 in MA must hold their learner's permit for a minimum of 6 months prior to obtaining their license. We do not prioritize appointments based on permit issuance date; appointments are first come first serve.
Currently all parent classes are hosted online, via zoom. The parent class is included in all SSDA packages. Please email the office at Info@SSDAOnline.com for upcoming parent class dates and registration. **The parent class must be attended prior to the child scheduling their driving lesson, this helps us work together as a mentor ship for the students in car driving lesson.
• To receive a phone call to schedule on-road lessons you will need to complete the "Appointment Request Form" found on the homepage of your student portal, please copy/paste and complete within a new email addressed to: Info@SSDAOnline.com
• Students are allowed 2 appointments at a time, separated by at least 7 days.
• Each time you complete an appointment you can submit this form to request your next lesson. Always keeping two appointments scheduled is the best way to accomplish the lessons.
• We typically book 6-8 weeks in advance for appointments, please plan accordingly. This process takes a minimum of 4 to 6 months.
• Students have a total of 12 hours of on-road driving and 6 hours of back seat observation to complete. The first 6 on-road appointments are 2-hours long which consist of 1 hour of driving and 1 hour observation. The remaining 6 hours of driving will be scheduled as (3) 2-hour driving appointments, for a total of nine 2-hour on-road appointments.
Yes, you can! We offer a classroom only transfer package that allows you to complete your 30 hours of required classroom with South Shore Driving Academy's convenient class options. This package will allow you to transfer to any school in the state of MA to complete your on-road hours. Please call the office for more information.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must have completed a MA approved drivers education course, have an RMV issued drivers education completion certificate, and have held a MA learners permit for a minimum of 6 months.
If you are a current/past student of SSDA and would like to use South Shore Driving Academy's Road Test Sponsorship Services, please call the office for registration. We can review the contract and complete your payment of non-refundable $200 payment via phone to secure your space on the next available road test grouping. Our service fee does not include any RMV licensing fees (typically $85) **By purchasing the SSDA optional sponsorship service, you are acknowledging that this service does not guarantee the student will pass the road test and that you have been practicing the necessary skills in preparation of the test. Any subsequent use of this service will result in the standard service fee of $175. SOUTH SHORE DRIVING ACADEMY HAS NO CONTROL OVER THE OUTCOME OF YOUR EXAM.